The customer manufactures motor couplings made from powder metal. They use an Okuma CNC lathe with 200 PSI coolant through the tool to machine the center hole to 1.250″ (+.002, -.000) starting with a 3/8″ diameter cored hole.
- Sandvik indexable drill
- 400 SFM
- .005 IPR
- Hole diameter = 984″
- Sandvik indexable boring bar
- 200 SFM
- .003 IPR
- Hole diameter = 1.250″
- Cycle time = 62.59 seconds
To remain competitive with other companies, the customer needed to reduce machining costs.
Allied recommended the EcoCut tooling.
Tools used: Ecocut holder (item EC 25R-1.5D 13-E) with insert (item XCNT 130408EN)
- Cycle time = 23.41 seconds
The EcoCut tooling provided the solution the customer needed.
- Eliminated one tool in the process
- Decreased cycle time by 37%
- Total cost savings = $9,475.84 or 62.26%