The customer is manufacturing engine block molds out of H13 tool steel for the automotive industry. They are using a Mazak 7550 VMC with 300 PSI through tool coolant to produce the parts.
Tool used: Star gun drill
- 1600 RPM
- 0.0006 IPR
- Cycle time = 14.58 minutes
- Tool life = 35 holes (required 5 regrind)
The customer asked Allied Machine to find a way to reduce cycle time and decrease the cost of production.
Allied Machine recommended using the GEN2 T-A Drilling System.
Tool used: GEN2 T-A insert (item 450H-15) with T-A holder (29000S-075L)
- 809 RPM
- 0.007 IPR
- Cycle time = 2.47 minutes
- Tool life = 35 holes (no regrinds)
The results were outstanding. The GEN2 T-A completely eliminated regrinds and significantly lowered the overall cost of production.
- Reduced the machine’s total cycle time by 12.11 minutes
- Reduced cost-per-hole from $18.26 to just $3.83
- Total cost savings = $7,214.43 (79.01%)