The customer manufactures a component for the fuel transfer industry made from 1018. They use a boring mill with water soluble flood coolant. Each part requires 8 drilled holes.
- Hole diameter = 0.750" (19.05mm)
- Hole depth = 6" (152.40mm)
- Kennametal IC drill
- Hole diameter = 2.5" (63.5mm)
- 400 RPM
- 0.009 IPR (0.23mm)
- 3.6 IPM (91.44 mm/min)
- Boring bar
- Hole diameter = 2.8" (71.12mm)
- Cycle time = 10 minutes
- Tool life = 75 holes
As their workload increased, the customer needed to speed up operations. They asked Allied for a solution to improve their process and increase throughput.
Allied recommended the Revolution Drill.
Tool used: Revolution Drill holder (item R46X22-150L) with inserts (item OP-05T308-H)
- 800 RPM
- 0.0035 IPR (0.089 mm/rev)
- 2.8 IPM (71.12 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 2 minutes 9 seconds
- Tool life = 795 holes
The Revolution Drill reduced the number of required tools from 3 to 1. The solution also decreased cycle time and reduced tooling costs.
- Increased tool life by 10x
- Reduced cost per hole from $22.43 to $4.14
- Total cost savings = 82%