The customer manufactures valve actuator bodies for the aerospace industry. The parts are made from 316 stainless steel. They use a low thrust Mori Seiki machining center with 20 HP using water soluble coolant. Previously, the customer used a series of spade drills that failed due to Z axis overload. They then tried an Iscar plunge mill.
Tool used: Iscar plunge mill
- Hole diameter = 2.5" (63.5mm)
- Hole depth = 12" (304.8mm)
- 800 RPM
- .001 IPR down (0.025 mm/rev)
- .005 IPR circular (0.13 mm/rev)
- 0.8 IPM (20.32 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 15 minutes
- Tool life = 8 holes
- Cost per hole = $21.21
Looking for improvements, the customer needed to reduce the plunge mill's high cost per hole.
Allied recommended using the Revolution Drill.
Tool used: Revolution Drill holder (R42X35-150L) and inserts (item OP-05T308-H)
- 1000 RPM
- .005 IPR (0.13 mm/rev)
- 5 IPM (127 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 2.4 minutes
- Tool life = 30 holes
- Cost per hole = $3.71
The Revolution Drill accomplished the customer’s needs by speeding up the process and reducing the overall cost of drilling.
- Reduced cycle time by 84%
- Reduced cost per hole from $21.21 to $3.71
- Total cost savings (per 500 parts) = $8,747.96 or 82.49%