A specialty screw machine shop is manufacturing underwater explosive casings made from aluminum bar stock for the U.S. Navy. These products must meet very strict tolerances. They use an EMCO multi-spindle lathe (four spindles per machine) with a water soluble coolant through the tool.
- Small boring bar (0.375″)
- Large boring bar (0.750″)
- Facing tool
The customer needed to reduce the cycle time, reduce the amount of tooling, and reduce costs.
Allied recommended the EcoCut tooling.
Tool used: EcoCut (item EC10R-1.5D 05-E) and (item EC10L-1.5D 05-E) with inserts (item XCET050202FN)
- 600 SFM
- 1024 RPM
- 1.126 IPM (drill)
- 2.048 IPM (counter bore)
- 5.120 IPM (finish bore)
- Cycle time = 1 minute 38 seconds
The EcoCut successfully decreased cycle time while eliminating 3 tools from the process.
- Increased tool life and reduced tooling costs: 4 EcoCut inserts per 40,000 parts = $13.66
- Total cost savings = $11,458.50