The customer is machining structural plates made from A36 structural steel. They are using a Peddinghaus machine with mist coolant.
Tool used: Kennametal KenTIP drill
- 630 RPM
- 0.0067 IPR (0.170 mm/rev)
- Resulted in 4.2 IPM (96 mm/min)
- Hole diameter = 0.875" (22.2mm)
- Through hole depth = 1.0" (25.4mm)
- Cycle time = 14.3 seconds
- Tool life = 1,000 holes
Looking for performance improvements, the customer asked Allied to reduce cycle time and increse tool life.
Allied recommended using the GEN2 T-A product.
Tool used: GEN2 T-A insert (item 4C11H-0028) and holder (item 23015S-100F)
- 725 RPM
- 0.0083 IPR (0.2 mm/rev)
- Resulted in 6 IPM (152 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 10 seconds
- Tool life = 1,150 holes
The GEN2 T-A Drilling System made a significant difference for the customer. The customer was impressed that the less expensive Allied drill outperformed the much higher priced Kennametal tool.
- Reduced cycle time from 14.3 seconds to 10 seconds
- Reduced cost-per-hole from $0.13 to $0.06
- Total cost savings of 50.7%