The customer is machining A36 mold backing plates using a DOOSAN DB 130CX Horizontal Boring Mill with 200 PSI (13.79 bar) through tool coolant.
Competing with off-shore mold makers, the customer was looking for a way to speed up this job. Allied was asked if they had a solution.
The difference was amazing as Allied was able to reduce the operation time from hours to just minutes. Completion of 6 holes using Revolution Drill® took less than 3 minutes, while the Opening Drill® opened 3 holes from 2” (50.8 mm) to 3.6” (91.44 mm) in under 2 minutes, outperforming the competitive tooling by over 4 hours!
||Decrease cycle time
||Tool, mold, & die
||Mold backing plates
||(1) 2.0" (50.8 mm) - x3
(2) 3.6" (91.44 mm) - x3
||(1) 3.5" (88.9 mm) - x3
(2) 4.0" (404.6 mm) - x3
The Revolution Drill and the Opening Drill.
- Revolution drill holder: R34X22-150L
- Opening drill holder: OP3-1L-CV50
- Drill inserts: OP05T308-H
||Tools used in process:
(1) - Center drill
(2) - Standard twist drill
(3) - Circular interpolation tool
(4) - Finish bore operation
||under 5 min
The Revolution and Opening Drill:
- Reduced the operation time from hours to minutes
- Both drills utilized the same inserts, which reduced inventory requirements